Monday, February 3, 2014

Creation not Duplication

Technology and the way that it's used or not used in the classroom has been swirling through my mind lately.  I've been thinking how we spend so much time and energy on PD which focuses on teachers teaching WITH technology when instead will really need to be focusing on teaching THROUGH technology.

My mind has shifted lately that technology needs to be so much less about being in my hands and so much more about being in my students. Also, that when it is in their hands it isn't about what I can give to them to consume from that technology, but what they can produce with that technology and then share with the world.  


As teachers we are constantly creating things and sharing them with others. Are these not then the same skill sets I want my students to have?  I want them to be able to access information, synthesize it and share it with the world. I want them to formulate opinions and produce work that shares that. I want them to connect to others in all parts of the world and examine things from more than just their own perspectives.  

Thus it has become imperative to me that my students create more, write more, share more than I have ever asked of them before.  And not just in our classroom, but in our school, in our community and in our world. This is a necessity for them to succeed in our global society. 
We must inspire creation not duplication. Thus as educators we must afford them opportunities and an environment which will nurture and sustain their ability to create. 

Laura <3

No comments:

Post a Comment