Thursday, August 7, 2014

What are your verbs?

Several weeks ago I had the opportunity to be part of a group of educators who were encouraged by Jim Mahoney, the Executive Director of Batelle for Kids. 

In the time that we spent with him, he challenged us to identify our strengths in the Four Dimensions of Teacher Effectiveness. As I completed my inventory, it was clear my greatest strength was in the area of Relationships: Cultivating a supportive community, closely followed by Continuous Improvement: Adapting and Embracing Change.  Really, these results came as no surprise to me.  I think most of us that have spent more than 5 or so years in education would be able to identify within which quadrant their strengths lie. 

What I found so valuable to remember, when he was speaking about strengths and weaknesses is that he reminded all of us that once we know what are strengths are, we must partner or seek collaboration with colleagues who have strengths that we do not.  We must not be afraid to seek out the input and assistance of others; for, they may have gifts that we do not. 

Mahoney, also challenged us to spend sometime thinking about how we would want to define our upcoming school year.  What words, specifically verbs, would we use to guide and measure what was accomplished in this new school year. He mentioned that he spoke with almost 18 different educators before any of them mentioned two of the same verbs.  

I spent some time really thinking about what I want my classroom to be about, and the verbs I will use to measure what happened.   The final result was this: Cultivate, Collaborate, & Create. 

These verbs encapsulate what I want my classroom to be about this year. They explain the sense of community and caring that is important to me to give to my students and the challenges I have ahead for them to become thoughtful creators rather than idle consumers. 

So as the time edges closer to the start of school, I challenge those educators reading this to define the verbs for your classroom this year and share them with me.  

Laura <3


No comments:

Post a Comment